Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Great Football Card Saga

For anyone who doesn't know, Nicky has become an avid collector of football cards. He doesn't have any idea what is actually valuable, but he knows what he likes, and what he likes is Packers cards. He's also fond of Eagles, Giants, Steelers, and Pro Bowl cards. He's been working on his collection for months, trading with friends, and spending his allowance on new packs. So when he came home one day from school and sadly told us that his exact favorite cards had been meticulously removed from his binder and stolen, you can imagine how upset he was. He's not allowed to play with the cards at school, but he is allowed to trade them on the bus, so he put his binder in his bookbag and left it there all day. At some point in the day, without anyone noticing, someone took each individual card that he likes out of their sleeves. I still can not fathom how his teacher didn't notice someone standing at the cubbies that long, but since her only reaction to his dilemma was "you shouldn't have brought them to school", we figured Nicky was out of luck as far as justice went.

That's when Mommy hit eBay and started recreating his collection as best I could without spending too much cash. Fortunately, as I mentioned, his idea of valuable cards doesn't really correspond with their actual value, and for under $20 I was able to make him happy.

And then. He waited. And waited. His Eagles cards arrived. His Brian Westbook Pro Bowl card arrived. And he waited. And waited. I began to worry that he had been ripped off twice and then...

Finally, 12 days after I paid for them, his 100 new Packers cards came in the mail yesterday.



Just call him "Happy Nick" (do doo do do ta do).

0 comments: