Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's Probably Not the Flu

Our first taste of adventure in the Saucon Valley High School Marching Band trip to Baltimore came Friday afternoon when the nurse at Nick's school called and said he was sick. We knew on Friday that everyone but me were sick, and Nick was sent to school with a cough. Apparently, though, the nurse said he had a fever and was wheezing. Fearing the flu, she asked us to pick him up.


My parents picked him up from school early since Jenn was working and had the car, and I had no way of getting home and was really busy finishing up some stuff at work. Jenn was able to rush home right after school and took Nick over to urgent care since our own doctor was booked up. While he no longer had a fever, he was still wheezing.



At urgent care, Nick was given a mask to wear in the waiting room. He was not at all happy about this (if I was his age, I probably would have though it was cool). The doctor at the urgent care said it was "probably not the flu", but had to do a swap to check anyway. Nick did not at all like this process, which required the doctor to put a swab way up his nostril. Nick flailed and wrested with the doctor, and both Jenn and Kai compared it to Egyptian mummification practices.


He was given a prescription for TamiFlu and told us not to give it to him until we heard back on Saturday morning. Now we had a dilemma. Should we all go to Baltimore without him, even though he is sick? Should we leave him with his grandparents if he had the flu? I decided that since Grammy and Pop-Pop were already exposed anyway, it didn't matter.


Meanwhile, Kai was waiting at band practice for her uniform and food. Jenn picked me up at a local McDonald's, where I got Kai her food, but by the time we got over to her, it was too late to eat. We dropped off her uniform and went home to regroup. We decided to drop me off at the game, and Jenn would take Nick around to get his medication and stuff he wanted for the night over at my parents apartment.


I wanted about 3 quarters of the game in really nice weather, which was great since it rained and poured last week. When I got this, Saucon was leading 14 - 13. At half time, the band put on their West Side story show. They still have 2 songs to finish for their show, but this was the best I had seen them perform the first 4 songs.


By the end of the game (which Saucon lost, by the way), Jenn had finished with getting Nick his TamiFlu and us some drugs for the trip to Baltimore, but hadn't done any other shopping since she had to go to THREE different pharmacies before finding his medication. We went to the grocery store to stock up on other things, and went home because we still had to pack. When it was all said and done, I think we were all in bed by 1AM, and would have to get up at 6 the next morning. Sigh.

0 comments: