Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Flu That Ate Easter

So there you are, bopping along, minding your own business. Go to see the Easter Bunny while out shopping, planning to have a nice Easter. And then....

Your son spikes a fever and acts not at all Nickylike. You take him to the ER. The doctor says "We've been seeing a lot of this. He has the flu. It's very contagious. You'll probably all get it too."

Enter high fever, inability to breathe, aches, pains, shakes, congestion, coughing, weakness to the point of tears... well, in short, I barely pulled together the Children's Program and Easter Egg hunt, with lots of help from Nicky (who was feeling better after playing the role of Typhoid Mary). We had spent all week sewing costumes and making giant puppets, so SOMEONE had to do it. Kairi and Scott were too sick to even get out of bed. By Easter morning, I had the worst of it. I sat in my pew in church and just shook and cried with sick and miserable the entire time. I couldn't even make Easter dinner. Kairi and Scott were somewhat better by this time, but it was quite frankly the worst Easter I've ever had.

I only managed to take a single picture of each kid in their Easter outfits. I think they looked cute, although I bet they gave the flu to every kid at church.

0 comments: