Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thankful (To Be Alive!)

We had a near disaster on our way to the 1000 islands for Thanksgiving. We were driving along, talking to Mom, when I saw a tree in the road ahead. I assumed Scott saw it, too, but when he didn't slow or swerve, I screamed "Tree!" Scott swerved to avoid (most) of the tree just in time, but when he did, the car went into a spin. I was screaming, the kids were screaming, and then BOOM, we hit the median, facing the wrong way. I dropped the cell in all this. Scotty, ever levelheaded, turned the car around, avoiding the oncoming traffic, and swung over to the shoulder. I was shaking and trying to make sure everyone was okay, but Scott said "Talk to your mom!"

Sure enough, Mom was panicking on the other end - trust Scott to think of that! We're all fine, and the car is just slightly less pretty where paint was scraped off the bumper, but it was very scary! It started snowing when we hit NY, so you can bet we took the rest of the journey VERY slowly. It made for a picturesque river view, though.

Later, we found a broken branch from the tree stuck next to the headlight. We put it in the car, where it sits to remind us to be careful.

After all that excitement, only Nicky was really revved about the Thanksgiving game, but the Packers triumphed when Brett threw a beautiful game against the Lions, and Nicky bounced his way to the table for turkey and all the trimmings. He entertained Grandpa with his descriptions of the exact football he was hoping to get for Christmas for the rest of the day.


Mom put us to work during the rest of the weekend, since she's starting up a fabric shop to go with her quilting business. We helped her clean out her screen porch and set up her stock out there. She's very excited, and I hope she ends up with lots of customers. At the very least, she should be able to give herself a discount on quilt supplies.

It was a really nice weekend, and was only marred by the fact that we had to hurry back to get Kairi and Nicky to Nutcracker practice on Sunday. Well, okay, maybe we didn't HURRY. After all, you never know when a tree will jump into the road!


0 comments: