Wednesday, July 12, 2006

An Aquatic Discovery

I have discovered that I would someday like to live near water. I always knew I liked the ocean, and swimming has always been one of my favorite sports, but it took our trip up to Cape Vincent to realize how much I truly enjoyed the water.

Growing up, I had the chance to swim in the Atlantic (both on beaches in the United States and Bermuda) and in various lakes throughout the northeast. I've been on a cruise ship, tour boats, and ferries of various descriptions. However, I never had the opportunity to ride in a motor boat. Last weekend, Gordy took me and the kids for a ride in the St. Lawrence river. I even had the chance to drive the boat around one of the islands in the river. Water is very relaxing. When I am out on the water, I am able to push all my troubles and stress away for a few hours. I can ignore work or church responsibilities and just enjoy myself.

The vastness of water is a reminder of the awesome power of God, and of the extraordinary wonders this world has to offer. The sheer power that is hidden within that water is amazing. It is something most people do not think about until a tragedy occurs like a tsunami or flash flood.

Somewhere, under those waves, are fish that I could catch and eat if need be. I was never a hunting kind of person, but I don't have any difficulty wanting to fish. Cleaning the fish...well, that's a different story.

Someday I will convince Jenn to move with me to someplace with water. Maybe the St. Lawrence, maybe the Atlantic coast or a lake, or elsewhere I have not yet visited. I do love where we live now, so this is something I would save until retirement. Until then, there is always vacation.

Scott

1 comments:

Jenn said...

And now he can use fancy schmancy phrases like "laying anchor". *wink*

Jenn